Q: What are the things you can't do in China being a foreigner?
Can we make the ultimate list of the things you can't do in China being a foreigner?
1. You can't open the gate to your compound as all the other people.
2. You can't use taobao in a normal way.
Can't speak putonghua... even if you're fluent in it.
Can't do anything properly - no matter what training and experience you have. The locals ALWAYS know better than you!!!! (including your native language.. and facts about your country)
However, being more technically correct in comparisons to Dalu Ren...
Get train tickets from a machine (ie, not the one behind the screen).
Walk into any hotel to get a room.
Stay in the country for as long as you like, and work wherever you choose, in whatever field you care for.
Have official accounts on various social media. (sometimes have ANY accounts on Chinese social media)
- Can't really go anywhere without someone try to cheat you
- Can't really be respected because foreigners can't be as clever as Chinese
- Can't go through any normal process without a huge hassle
- Can't go anywhere without someone staring, whisper or talking about you
- Can't speak Mandarin if you don't understand EVERY WORD spoken to you
- Can't get annoyed with all of the ridiculous patronizing compliments, foolish comments or ridiculous insults... just have to let them roll off your back cause you are a foreigner
- Can't be a permanent resident of China, cause foreigners are always only guests
Pee and shit on the bus, street, anywhere you like. If they do it is customs and traditions but if you do it, it is disrupting their social harmony. They can steal and copy and fake, that is called survival, if rich laowais do those it is grabbing money from the beggars' bowl which is both illegal and morally indefensible.
Can't expect professional competence or ethical business behavior.
Can't expect them to honor NDA or contracts.
Can't expect on time or on budget performance.
Can't expect useful innovations or end user knowledge.
Abide by chinese laws, rules and regulations aswell as neglect or avoid conflict with a chinese citizen cuz the ways and things in china are totally different to other parts of the world.
I use taobao the totally normal way, just use alipay on your phone and use the Ebank (Ever Bright Bank is best.) Seems you need to learn how to do things that have blocked roads boy, there's away to do it.
Smoking or vaping in a western restaurant but you can do it, if you speak Chinese, in a Chinese restraurant
better if u smoke Chinese cigarette, so u can say your supporting Chinese industry
Can't do any of the rude, disgusting habits the Natives have (spitting, cutting in line, not bathing, snot rocketing, etc) because this is China and Chinese people don't like that. You must accept our ways and if you can't, you need to go home even if you own a house here and are married here. Remember, when in Rome. . .
Can't prove them wrong about anything because it's all about saving face and they will just say "well, maybe. . ."
Can't be left alone because someone will either stare, make comments, or try to "practice their English." And if you don't accept that, you're a rude foreigner and need to go home because Chinese people are so polite and nice about personal space.
Can't be critical of anything, but must accept all criticism and change everything about yourself.
Can't except a sincere apology for anything, but you are required to apologize for breathing.