Q: What are the things you can't do in China being a foreigner?
Can we make the ultimate list of the things you can't do in China being a foreigner?
1. You can't open the gate to your compound as all the other people.
2. You can't use taobao in a normal way.
Can't speak putonghua... even if you're fluent in it.
Can't do anything properly - no matter what training and experience you have. The locals ALWAYS know better than you!!!! (including your native language.. and facts about your country)
However, being more technically correct in comparisons to Dalu Ren...
Get train tickets from a machine (ie, not the one behind the screen).
Walk into any hotel to get a room.
Stay in the country for as long as you like, and work wherever you choose, in whatever field you care for.
Have official accounts on various social media. (sometimes have ANY accounts on Chinese social media)
- Can't really go anywhere without someone try to cheat you
- Can't really be respected because foreigners can't be as clever as Chinese
- Can't go through any normal process without a huge hassle
- Can't go anywhere without someone staring, whisper or talking about you
- Can't speak Mandarin if you don't understand EVERY WORD spoken to you
- Can't get annoyed with all of the ridiculous patronizing compliments, foolish comments or ridiculous insults... just have to let them roll off your back cause you are a foreigner
- Can't be a permanent resident of China, cause foreigners are always only guests
I always let them think that they are smarter and that I am a dumb laowai then double cross them when they least expect it, that's when they usually lose it and become aggressive (because the laowai has no right to cheat chinese), when they realize what I did. It's just too easy because they are so arrogant in their false superiority.
Pee and shit on the bus, street, anywhere you like. If they do it is customs and traditions but if you do it, it is disrupting their social harmony. They can steal and copy and fake, that is called survival, if rich laowais do those it is grabbing money from the beggars' bowl which is both illegal and morally indefensible.
Can't expect professional competence or ethical business behavior.
Can't expect them to honor NDA or contracts.
Can't expect on time or on budget performance.
Can't expect useful innovations or end user knowledge.
Abide by chinese laws, rules and regulations aswell as neglect or avoid conflict with a chinese citizen cuz the ways and things in china are totally different to other parts of the world.
I use taobao the totally normal way, just use alipay on your phone and use the Ebank (Ever Bright Bank is best.) Seems you need to learn how to do things that have blocked roads boy, there's away to do it.
You can't be Chinese in China if you're a foreigner. Chinese foreigners have to leave China before they can be foreigners.
Smoking or vaping in a western restaurant but you can do it, if you speak Chinese, in a Chinese restraurant
better if u smoke Chinese cigarette, so u can say your supporting Chinese industry