The place to ask China-related questions!
Beijing Shanghai Guangzhou Shenzhen Chengdu Xi'an Hangzhou Qingdao Dalian Suzhou Nanjing More Cities>>


Welcome to eChinacities Answers! Please or register if you wish to join conversations or ask questions relating to life in China. For help, click here.

Answers of the Day

  • Mar 13,2017

    That would be an awful experience.


    I would call your embassy asap, they might be able to suggest something or give you a temporary replacement or something. I'm sure they would have seen this before.

    You may also need something from the PSB to say that you still have a valid visa in order to leave the country. Do you at least have a copy of your visa and passport...

  • Mar 09,2017

    If all you are saying is true (and by this I do not imply you lied, please), why do you want to renew a work visa if you have a spouse temporary residence permit? To my knowledge, the work visa that you had expired 30 days after you entered China. Your temporary residence permits took over your expired visa, then later on I am assumiung yo9u got married and had your temporary residence...

  • Mar 04,2017

    2 years ago I made the mistake of working on a Q1 visa. The recruiting company from Beijing told me I could. Hey! this was a Chinese company in the capital city of China telling me it was okay. Okay! so I was naive, I didn't know SOME Chinese people tell lies! I got caught at the end of May. I was lucky. When the PSB saw my passport they saw 4 work visas for different colleges. They let me off...

  • Mar 01,2017

    That must have been a village doctor, my sons was pain free and only sore after the pain meds wore off.

  • Feb 24,2017


    Since 1851, the name Singer has been...

  • Feb 22,2017

    Recent review on School by former FT:




    Another one from 2012:


  • Feb 22,2017

    Yes, if you are working in China, it doesn't matter if you were say a math teacher, now your degree would NOT have to be earned in an English speaking country because you are not teaching ESL. But you would still need to go through the new ABC Talent Visa deal and yes China might refuse your application based on where you are from. They are picky on passports these days.

  • Feb 21,2017

    Rules are not same. For example only teachers from English speaking countries will be able to get a visa starting from April 2017 . However , ayis don't need to be from English speaking countries to work in China .

  • Feb 18,2017

    Weird jobs you say? China has plenty.


    The guys who work in bath houses and whose job it is to scrub guys down... that's got to suck.

    I've seen it. There will be a (usually fat) naked dude lying on a table, and the scrubber who is also near naked goes over him top to bottom with what looks like a scouring glove. They get right in there..lift the nuts, spread the...

  • Feb 17,2017

    Have been using it regularly in Shanghai - highly recommend it !

  • Feb 16,2017

    You can but only if you are a very good candidate for what the job is already. It's not necessarily going to be any easier at this point than doing it at home.


    For example I have a bachelors in finance from a good university back home. I graduated in 2010 and there were no jobs. I taught ESL for a few months and absolutely despised every second of it but used the time to...

  • Feb 15,2017

    Unfair. Yup.


    I have been here 5 years now, and I still have stuff in storage in the UK.




    Because I am not allowed to import it.  I have a tool kit in a roller cabinet worth 5k GB. Not allowed to bring it here.  But I could export crap spanners to the UK no problem if I wanted to.  Flood the market with crap but...

  • Feb 11,2017

    Social networking is about business, you move in to small group, catch a break in the conversation, introduce yourself and give out some business cards and move on, if you find a potential customer, you go into a holding pattern and linger there with the conversation a little longer, then move onto the next target group. It's business, not personal, unless of course you see some beefcake on...

  • Feb 11,2017

    This is not something I know a lot about so I might be talking out of my arse, but I always thought that if a company wants to sell its product in China, knowing that it will be taxed heavily that's their choice and if China is able to get away with charging that tax while their goods may not be taxed as heavily in other countries can you really blame them for getting the best deal they can?...

  • Feb 08,2017

    I had the same thing.


    It used to be that as long as you had minimum six months left on your old passport they would just put the new visa in that passport and later, when you travel you just needed to carry both passports.


    But the last time I renewed my RP my old passport was due to expire about 6 weeks before the new visa would expire. I didn't think...

  • Feb 08,2017

    Doesn't affect you at all. Only affects those on work permits. Carry on as you have before. 

  • 17 .
    Feb 04,2017

    I do have 3 CC that work in China at places that deal with tourists, hotels, and some restaurants.  very limited opportunities to use them do. Merchants here do not want to accept them because they claim it takes months to receive money from banks. And I also have to message banks back in USA that I will be visiting China in the near future and to please accept my charges with a list of...

  • Feb 03,2017

    I know a few Filipinos that do this so the family can withdraw money in the philippines, but not heard of other countries where Union Pay allows this to happen. They can't get 2 atm cards, so they just open 2 accounts and move money to an account where they "express mail the atm card to a family member" and make cash deposits to the account as they need it.

  • Jan 21,2017

    probably 30 minutes and that was a couple of years back getting a crown and filling done.
    I have no problem recommending my Dentist in Mudanjaing .
    good work and a great price ..last year the dentist in Australia tried to over charge and service for $4600 aus .
    flights for me the wife and 2 kids return from Harbin was $2900
    dentist cost me $100 all done in record time...

  • Dec 28,2016

    What Spider says may not be true! It may depend on your government, etc.


    I know this from personal experience when I had my Criminal History stuff done by my friend. But then, I was able to get the criminal history done online and mailed. He then took it to my gov's Dept of Foreign Affairs, who then authenticated it, And then he took it to the Chinese...

Answer of the DayMORE >>
A: That would be an awful experience. I would call your embassy asap
A:That would be an awful experience. I would call your embassy asap, they might be able to suggest something or give you a temporary replacement or something. I'm sure they would have seen this before.You may also need something from the PSB to say that you still have a valid visa in order to leave the country. Do you at least have a copy of your visa and passport front page, or can you get one?  If you have been working here your employer would probably have copies. In the mean time, turn the place upside down trying to find your passport.Good luck mate.   -- Stiggs